Lonny Granstrom will be giving a talk titled:
Panic to Profit: My Journey with PHP and PostgreSQL
Also, Jim Glutting will be giving a demonstration and talk about an internet appliance called the ‘Instagate’ from eSoft. Jim recently setup a couple of these for a customer to create a VPN between to offices
What is PHP and PostgreSQL?
That was my first question in November 2001, when I was asked to help create a website to help doctors place, Medicare acceptable, orders for medical equipment/supplies for their patients.
In late April 2002 the website launched… PHP, running as an Apache webserver module, controls the dynamic creation if all webpage content, including connections and data transfers with the database. PostgreSQL is the RDBMS. PHPLib, a PHP Class library available
on SourceForge, was used as the backbone for session management, user login security, and webpage HTML templates. PHPLib also uses PostgreSQL.
Topics relating to the website functionality will include:
- Configuration of PHP and Apache for improving security;
- Session Management with PHPLib, or PHP in general;
- Templates for page construction, including Class generation of HTML Elements;
- Class-based generation of !PostgreSQL SQL statements;
- Database connections and coding practices in a CVS environment;
- HTML GET and POST Form variable passing; and,
- Record set transaction control with historical record retention.